Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

1.  I/we have been cooking for Blaise instead of buying consumer baby food.  Mostly, I figured it would be fresher and therefore better, and since I was home anyway, I had the time to do it.  Now that we are getting ready for our trip, I bought some baby food to try so that we'd be set for the plane and the first few days after landing.  Before doing this, I did some research in our similar-to-consumer-reports eco-magazine and was surprised to find the only two brands with a rating of "good" (best is "very good") to be house brands from a drugstore (DM, for you German readers) and a discount supermarket (Penny).  This once again proves that although a product is more expensive, it isn't necessarily better.  I have found this to be true with sunscreen and laundry detergent!  The problem with the consumer baby food isn't that the manufacturers are putting yucky stuff in them, but the heating process to seal them somehow creates benzol and some other icky stuff.  We will use the food as needed on our trip, but will give Blaise as much "real" food as possible.  Since we'll be staying mostly in houses/condos this should be easy.  Yesterday Blaise had steamed chicken and broccoli with olive oil and fresh garlic :)

2.  My parents are bringing their laptop, so I think we'll be wireless pretty much everywhere we go.  This means I'm hoping to continue blogging from the road, not to make you all jealous, but more as a travel diary for ourselves :)  Stay tuned for USA Adventures 2009 :)

3.  I am very much looking forward to seeing my IU Girlfriends in November!  We got together last year in Michigan and my friend Tara's family cottage and this year we are getting together at Pokagon State Park in Angola, IN.  Can't wait to see you guys!

4.  It is Hokkaido season!  It's called "pumpkin" in German, but I think we probably call it a squash.  I love them!  We (read: Jan) makes great pumpkin soup and Blaise has also enjoyed his pureed pumpkin.











5.  We are leaving our cloth diapers home for the trip :(  We took two weekend trips where we took them with us and it was super easy!  We have so much to carry with us, that the thought of taking them too was a little overwhelming.  I did consider it though since we'll have laundry facilities everywhere we're going, but I was also out-numbered in my decision, oh well, at least it will be once less thing to do on vacation.  :( :(

6.  I love going to pick up Blaise when he wakes up from his naps.  He sleeps on his belly now and one cheek is therefore always really warm and soft.  Oh is it cuddly!!!  He is also cuddly after waking up - you have about 120 seconds before he wants to start doing his own thing, so you have to act quick!

7.  Instead of using disposable cloth wipes, I bought little squares of flannel and use just a little water that I keep in a water bottle next to the change table.  I can't remember who I bought them from, but if you search either hyenacart or esty you will find a ton!  I am actually considering taking a few with me for our trip, because I think they are maybe less irritating for his skin.  To be fair though,  I do have a package of disposable wipes in my diaper bag.

8.  I really love blueberries - I think they are my favorite berry.  It took me awhile to get into them this season, but when I finally did I ate them almost every morning with quark (like yogurt) and honey...yum!!

9.  After Tara's steak and artichoke post, I was craving artichokes, too!  I saw some big yummy looking ones at the market last week and couldn't resist.  I steamed it and dipped it in a olive oil, garlic salt and thyme dip.  Yum!  :)

10.  Today is the first day of fall!!!  WooHoo!!!

and as a bonus today:

11.  I have officially decided to take another year off work.  It was a scary decision, but I think the right one.  Jan is going to be home with Blaise for January and February, and I'll work as much as possible in this time and then teach some evening courses after that to earn some vacation money :)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, Michelle. You inspire me with your posts....I need to get back into it, which I'm planning to do now that we're sort of back to a normal fall routine! Can't wait to see you. Safe travels!!

IUgirl78 said...

Yay! Good for you!! You will not regret that time with Blaise. I am glad you are loving being home with him so much. Love this post--you do a great job! I'm with Jen--you're inspiring me to try a little harder. :)