Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Taking a page out of Tara's book...


I subscribe to "Body and Soul" magazine which is published by the Martha Stewart Company. I discovered it last September when we were home and I have gained so much from reading it. It has great environmental tips as well as interesting food stories and health tips. You can check it out at http://www.bodyandsoulmag.com/. I tried this recipe tonight from this month's volume and we loved it! I can enjoy asparagus for what it is worth but I have never really thought yum...until tonight. Not sure it beats out the Wirsing, but it was really good. The nice thing is - super easy and you can easily pair it with something else. I (through Jan's directions) changed the original recipe a bit, so the one I am posting here, is a bit different than on the website.

Read about health benefits of asparagus

Prep: 25 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Ingredients

Serves 4
1 medium thick asparagus bunch, tough ends removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt
2 tablespoons cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic cream
4 large eggs
2 ounces shaved parmesan

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet with a rim, toss asparagus with oil. Season with salt. Bake until asparagus is lightly browned and tender, 15 to 18 minutes (timing will vary depending upon thickness of asparagus).

2. Mix together balsamic vinegar and balsamic vinegar cream in small bowl.

3. Meanwhile, bring a large skillet with 2 inches of water to a simmer over medium heat. Break one egg at a time into a cup, then tip cup into pan. Simmer until whites are set and yolks are soft but slightly set, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spatula, scoop out eggs one at a time and drain on paper towels. With a paring knife, trim edges (this would have been a good idea, but I didn't do it).

4. Divide asparagus among four plates and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Top with shaved Parmesan and an egg.

YUM!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm an asparagus junkie and have two bunches in the fridge as we speak. I typically cook my asparagus this way but am anxious to try it with the balsamic vinegar, parmesan, and poached egg tonight. Thanks for the recipe!

IUgirl78 said...

I never think about making asparagus, but I always enjoy it when I have it at a restaurant or a friend's house. Here's a silly question, though: Would you call that dish the main entree? It seemed like a main dish since it has an egg for protein, but I wasn't sure.

Unknown said...

I loved it! I made it last night and paired it with some thin-cut leftover prime rib and red-skinned potatoes. Matt's not only a big eater, but doesn't considered something a real meal if there's no meat. So to answer Kristy's question, it has to me a side at our house - most other's it could be a main course :)

Michelle said...

Glad you liked it Tara! I was also wondering about the main course thing - we did eat it as a main that night because we weren't too hungry. However, I thought for an evening when with friends it would be a good appetizer. Though Tara's combo sounded super!!