Sunday, April 20, 2008

London Baby!

Last weekend we flew to London for 4 days. I had a training on Monday and Tuesday so Jan came with to hang out in London. I love London! This is only third short trip there, but I always think "wow, I could live here" - after I win the lottery of course :) My favorite thing about London is the theater - so much a part of the city's identity.

This is the reconstructed Globe Theatre - Michelle Roark and I saw "Romeo and Juliet" here in 2004. It is truly an amazing feeling being here, even through Shakespeare didn't walk this stage, his spirit is definitely present. Unfortunately the season hadn't opened yet, oh well, one more reason to go back. More info: http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/

We went to see the musical "CHICAGO" while we were there. Amazing the talent of this actors - what an amazing opportunity to keep the theatre culture alive and well, I have a lot of respect for all of them.

Another London favorite of mine are the markets, we spent Saturday morning hanging around Borough Market where we taste tested many yummy foods, from cheese to baklava to chocolate to wine. It rained on and off while we were there, but that didn't discourage anyone.




Of course one thing that we also enjoyed was the historical pub culture in London. Often you hear that the food in Britain is horrible, but I find that if you quickly assimilate to their style you can appreciate their cuisine. I enjoyed their world famous ale, even if it was a tick warmer than the ice cold lager.

We also saw the key sites of Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, etc. For all pictures check out the online album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mmschroeder/London2008?authkey=LJRthWQv-vQ

London, we'll be back!

3 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

I'm so jealous!!! I have never been to London (besides being in the airport, but that doesn't count). Joel's parents lived there for a couple of years and Joel spent a summer there, so they always have great stories to tell. I hope that I'll be able to go sometime!

I loved the pictures on your online album. What a good idea to link that! I LOVED the sign on the street to look right. Ha! I feel so sorry for Jan and his "exhausting afternoon at Harrod's." Life is so rough, isn't it? :) And what is that Hoosiers sign all about?

Michelle said...

The Hoosiers sign must have been a music group or something, funny, huh? I'll have to look them up online.

IUgirl78 said...

Michelle! I completely forgot that you were in town for the 500!! Shoot!!! I hope you had a great time.

I miss your blog posts!