Friday, December 19, 2008

The Grandparents Arrival

My mom and dad arrived last Thursday after a week's delay. They will be staying with us until March in order to spend time with and help out with (!) their first grandchild. Since their stay will be extended they spent many weeks preparing themselves as well as my grandma. This proved more involved than expected as they were trying to anticipate every need which might arise in the next 3 months. After finally lining everything up - from daily checks on my grandma, to her medicine to getting her to church on Sundays - my dad got sick the day before they were to fly. The doctor said the added stress took its toll on his immune system which of course made him susceptible to bad stuff. He was concerned about arriving here and infecting me and of course flying with flu-like symptoms is never a good idea - for anyone! The change fee was waived by Lufthansa since they had a doctor's note, but they had to pay an additional charge since the category they originally booked was gone. Luckily they were still able to get a flight before Christmas so they could still enjoy the Christmas markets - more to come on that.

Here they are meeting us at the airport - they zipped out of there so fast the picture is blurry!


They packed lightly, huh?

3 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Oh, that picture is too cute! I am sure they are super excited about their first grandchild's birth quickly approaching! So sorry to hear your dad was sick and they had to delay their arrival, but I'm sure they will make up for lost time. :)

APMom said...

Your parents crack me up! I bet they cannot wait for the baby's arrival...heck, I can't wait for the baby's arrival!! :) I hope you all had a very merry Christmas.

Jen said...

It's like being back at IU seeing these pics of your parents. They never pack lightly!!! I bet they're so psyched to be there with you, Jan and soon to arrive Baby!!! Wish them hello from me.